Moong dal is a traditional ingredient in Indian cooking. Due to its mild and earthy flavor, moong dal is best cooked with assertive flavorings.
Cooking Time 20-25 min
- Organic Pantry's Moong dal(split green gram skinless)- 1 cup
- Mint Leaves- 1 bunch(1cup)
- Organic Pantry's Ghee 2tbsps
- Organic Pantry's Cumin 1tsp
- Organic Pantry's Mustard 1/2tsp
- Dry chillies 2-3 nos
- Organic Pantry's Asafoetida 1/4tsp
- Organic Pantry's Urad dal(split black gram) 1/2tsp
- Onion 1nos
- Organic Pantry's Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Organic Pantry's Chilli Powder 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice 2tbsps
Steps to be followed:
- In a frying pan, take 1cup of moong dal (approx. 110 gm) and dry roast it on low flame till you get nice aroma.
- Take the roasted dal in a vessel, add sufficient water, and cook soft. Can also pressure cook till 3 whistles.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dry chilies, 2 pinches of asafetida and urad dal.
- Add chopped onions and turmeric powder and fry till the raw smell goes away.
- Add washed mint leaves and cook soft and mushy on low flame.
- Once the mint leaves are cooked soft add chili powder and salt. Mix it well.
- Add cooked dal to the fried ingredients and add 1 cup of water and cook on low flame for 2-3 mins.
- Switch off the flame, add lemon juice (do not skip) and mix it well. Serve hot
Tips and benefits:
This tasty and yummy Mint moong dal is best served with white rice or roti.
Ghee is used to give nice taste and smell to the recipe. Lemon juice is added for the tangy flavor.
Mint leaves offer a range of antioxidant qualities and potential health benefits, so it is best to add them in cooking.